Much more than a modern Amiga graphics card
Compiled by a ZZ9000 owner and enthusiast
Updated: January 4, 2021 | ZZ9000 is © 2019-2021 MNT Research GmbH
Preface | Specifications | Requirements / Compatibility | Production / Shipping | Installation | Screen Modes
Add-Ons | Apps 'n ARMs | Benchmarks | Features | Support / Troubleshooting | F.A.Q. | Links | Contact
- January 4, 2021: [Released Jan. 1, 2021] The latest (stable) firmware and driver version for all ZZ9000-supported Amigas is 1.8. The ZZTop tool hasn't changed since 1.1 Beta and can also be used with all ZZ9000-supported Amiga models.
Enhancements in v1.8:
- Split Screen / Screen Dragging Support (Requires P96 3.0 or later) (Beta).
- Adds 256 MB AutoConfigTM Fast RAM on Zorro III machines.
- Accelerated drawing operations are now flushed in vertical blanks.
- Fixes spurious one-line wraparound at start/end of screen.
- Fixes compatibility with some displays vs 1.8-beta1 (sync pulses).
Important: Requires new RTG driver version 1.8. Please download and install ZZ9000Installer1_8.lha on your Amiga.
- October 2, 2020 - 1.7.0 Beta 3 of the latest (pre-release) firmware update is now available.
New features in 1.7.0 Beta 3 (Amiga 500/500+ and Amiga 2000 only!):
- Fixes AutoConfigTM with Kickstart 1.3 and in turn makes the ZZ9000 scandoubler compatible with Kickstart 1.3.
- Fixes compatibility with the TerribleFire TF536 (and possibly other models) accelerator. This requires Kickstart 2.0+ to work (3.0+ for RTG)! The TF536 does not currently support Zorro enumeration with Kickstart 1.3.
Note: For A2000, use the "zorro2" firmware. For A500, one of the others, depending on if you have an A500+ or A500.
- August 11, 2020 - 1.7.0 Beta 2 of the latest (pre-release) firmware update is now available.
New features in Beta 2:
- Registers for monitoring two ZYNQ voltages: VCCINT and VCCAUX. Use with the updated ZZTop 1.1 tool. This allows you to verify that the 1.8/3.3V fix has been applied correctly. ZZTop 1.1 will show a correct ~1.79 voltage for VCCAUX instead of the incorrect 3.3V.
- [Not part of the official notes, but...] Firmware support for the new "A500plus" version for A500+ (or Super Denise) with ZZ9500CX Denise adapter has been added. This uses 4MB address space.
- August 9, 2020 - 1.7.0 Beta 1 of the latest (pre-release) firmware update is now available; currently Zorro III only. Updated the Support / Troubleshooting page with a workaround for the "Red/Stuck screen on warm reboot", and added a possible explanation for an issue caused by the Video Toaster in Lightwave screens.
New features since 1.6.2 (with more details to come):
- Core temperature monitor. Use with pre-release ZZTop tool v1.0 or later.
- Even faster P96 graphics acceleration (contributed by _Bnu).
- Reliability and speed improvements to USB and Ethernet (contributed by shanshe).
- July 7, 2020 - Added a fix/workaround for ZZ9000 clashes on Amigas using the Prometheus PCI Zorro III card, and a link detailing how to activate the ZZ9000 on systems running AmigaOS 4.1 F.E. to the Support / Troubleshooting page.
- July 1, 2020 - More page cleanups, and added some encouraging news from Individual Computers' website (posted on June 30, 2020) regarding an upcoming update [archived image] to P96 that should benefit all Amiga RTG users and developers:
"A new version V2.4.6 of P96 is available for all registered customers and those who want to become registered. A small bug when opening bitplaned modes has been fixed. These are rarely-used modes with graphics cards, and the bug was only triggered with intuition V46 or higher. There are more changes in the works: We're working together with graphics card manufacturer MNT Research GmbH [not MNTMN, which is Lukas Hartman's handle] and others [CS Labs?] on adding a new key feature to the P96 graphics software. Further, work on the Permedia2 driver has been started in order to improve it — we'll be able to offer a major update to P96 in the next few months that will also be useful to users of CybergraphX cards."
- June 11, 2020 - Stable firmware 1.6.2 and drivers 1.6 are now available (Amiga 500 firmware coming soon). V1.6.2 replaces V1.6 and V1.6.1 which were tested in public and still had some problems with CyberStorm MK I and MK II. Also updated the Installation and Benchmarks pages.
Changes (since 1.5.1; Zorro II support added June 16, 2020; Amiga 500 support pending):
- Higher stability, esp. with 68060/CyberStorm. Better output signal. 1.5.1 for Zorro III had faulty FPGA timing. We finally figured out this was a Xilinx Vivado bug.
- Improved raw read/write speed.
- Improved speed on some P96 drawing functions, especially RectFill() Pattern.
- Fixes to network driver including the capability of switching to INT2 instead of INT6 in the event you have hardware conflicts. To do this, set the interrupt jumper on ZZ9000 to INT2 and create an empty file ENVARC:ZZ9K_INT2.
- Unified scandoubler ("videocap") code for Denise and Videoslot sampling with slightly better centering.
- May 27, 2020 - Revamped the Support / Troubleshooting page for better readability, as well as some additional cleanups.
- May 5, 2020 - Added a reference image from Lukas Hartmann's Twitter feed regarding a possible ZZ9000 audio module to the "Possible" list of the Features page. Some minor cleanups to several pages.
- April 8, 2020 - Added preliminary news of WebM/VP9 playback being part of the upcoming firmware 2.0 release to the Features page. Added some images for better illustration to the Installation page. Many minor corrections and cleanups to various pages.
- February 5, 2020 - Added the new Add-Ons page to accommodate the new ZZ9500CX Denise Adapter for Amiga models without Zorro II/III slots, as well as any future ZZ9000 expansion boards. Also added a note that pre-orders for Batch 4 of the ZZ9000 are now open.
- January 6, 2020 - Stable (firmware and drivers) 1.5.1 is now available (as of January 5, 2020). Also added a new "work-in-progress" F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions) page.
Changes (since 1.5 beta):
- Brings back Zorro II support with some bus timing fixes.
- Fixes "double vision" bug when switching from RTG to PAL/NTSC Interlace screen.
- Fixes bug where video capture position was offset/wrong after reset with 50Hz mode.
- Fixes "dark background wave" in video capture mode on A2000 due to sampling unconnected pins.
- Stability fix for USB Storage driver.
- December 23, 2019 - Pre-release/beta (firmware and drivers) 1.5 is now available (as of December 21, 2019). In addition—albeit tightly—the ZZ9000 (as of batch 2) fits into the Checkmate A1500 plus.
Changes (since 1.5):
- Faster GUI: All P96 drawing functions now accelerated and some bugs fixed (see details).
- Increased (~2x) write performance by using AXI DMA internally.
- Experimental USB Storage (USB Stick) support (ZZ9000USBStorage.device), tested with GiggleDisk and fat95. No hotplug yet! Insert USB stick before starting/resetting Amiga.
- New 320x256 screen mode for certain demos.
- Fixes demos that use panning for double buffering (like Melba/Appendix).
- October 17, 2019 - Added some explanation info from _Bnu (#mnt-amiga) regarding the horizontally-squashed screen when switching from NTSC to PAL mode in the Amiga's Bootmenu to the Support / Troubleshooting page.
- October 11, 2019 - Pre-release firmware 1.4b and drivers 1.4b (Zorro III only) are now available. Note that the Zorro II version is not available yet, as this is a Zorro III testing version to check the stability of new improvements. Thanks to beeanyew and shanshe for code contributions!
Changes (since 1.4a):
- Introduces Hardware Sprite (used for mouse cursor).
- Introduces automatic switch to 720x480 @ 60Hz mode for NTSC scandoubling.
- Fixes some blitting-related bugs.
- Slightly better interrupt handling for Ethernet.
Also added a note to the Pending Features page that an official ZZ9000 driver installation diskette is still planned on. This is mentioned in the "Software Installation" section (third paragraph) of the ZZ9000 manual: "3. Double click "Install ZZ9000" from the ZZ9000 Install package available from our website or on floppy disk from our online shop."
- October 5, 2019 - Added an experimental means for adding 128MB of RAM from your ZZ9000 to your Zorro III-only Amiga 3000(T) or 4000(T)'s Fast RAM to the Apps 'n ARMs page. Unfortunately, the Zorro II bus doesn't support that level of addressing space.
- October 4, 2019 - Updated several pages:
- All Batch 1 ZZ9000 boards have been shipped, and Batch 2 boards now in production (Production / Shipping).
- New Batch 3 boards (in pre-order, 100-card limit) which adds new Amiga 500 compatibility, including video capturing via a new cable (will be backported to Batch 1 and 2 boards), and reiteration of AmigaOS access/functionality for the USB port (Pending Features).
- More details, clarification and screenshots to the Screen Modes page.
- October 2, 2019 - Added two new notes to the Support / Troubleshooting page (contributed by ProfPlum of the English Amiga Board). Lukas Hartmann is aware of these details:
- A2000 NTSC screens are also fuzzy on the HDMI output.
- The pixel trail issue also affects the A2000 with TF534 (A500 / A1000 / A2000 Accelerator by Terrible Fire a.k.a. Stephen Leary) and hangs the system.
- September 24, 2019 - Added the issue regarding a tight (batch 1) ZZ9000 card fit into Amiga 4000 systems to the Support / Troubleshooting page. Lukas Hartmann is aware of it and has noted that this will be fixed in the second batch of cards (sold out). Also added two screenshots illustrating the intermittent "swapped Hires pixels" bug in the scandoubler (occurs in roughly 10% of cold starts).
- September 22, 2019 - Added this "Updates" page and reorganized currently known issues on the Support / Troubleshooting page.