|Workbench 4.x, v50.2 (Kickstart ??.?), U-Boot 1.0.0
|Pre-Release Updates: 1 (Oct. 10, 2004) | 2 (Dec. 27, 2004) | 3 (June 14, 2005) | 4 (Feb. 8, 2006)||Kickstart on disk
|Shipped with: New AmigaOnes since June 2004||Major enhancements:
- Ported to PowerPC with removal of all chipset dependencies.
- Integrated 680x0 emulator for execution of legacy code.
- GUI appearance completely reconfigurable, and consistent across ReAction
and GadTools based apps, you can also now drag windows off screen.
- The Guru is replaced with the Grim Reaper, a massively enhanced version of
the old "Suspend/Reboot" requester.
- Integrated TCP/IP stack.
- Reimplemented FastFileSystem with long filename support and no
partition/drive size limits.
- Added support for Truetype and Postscript fonts, with optional
anti-aliasing (TypeManager replaces Intellifont).
- Supports different character sets, including full ISO-8859-15 (Euro
- New CDFS (with support for ISO9660, UDF, HFS, CDDA etc), CD/DVD writing
support, can boot from CD/DVD, drives are auto-mounted.
- New MediaToolbox and PartitionWizard replace HDToolBox and third party
utilities such as DiskSalv.
- Pop-up menus with PowerMenus Commodity.
- Solid window resizing/dragging.
- MUI included with distribution.
- AmiGS, AmiPDF, and Ghostscript now system apps.
- AmigaDOS implemented without BCPL TripOS legacy code.
- S:ARexx inherits Rexxc in C: and ARexx scripts.
- SmartFileSystem included.
- AmiDock greatly improved and Dockies and SubDocs implemented.
|Workbench 1||Workbench 2||Workbench 3||Workbench 4|
|Boot Screen||Boot Menu 1||Boot Menu 2|
- Maria Engström shares the following easter egg in the UBoot (ROM/BIOS) of the AmigaOne computers that run AmigaOS4 (therefore not really in Workbench itself). You can activate it by typing in the following on the UBoot prompt (] is the prompt symbol):
] setenv easteregg 1
The next time the AmigaOne computer is rebooted, the screen will look the startup-screen of a Commodore 64. Deactivating the easter egg is done by typing:
] setenv easteregg
] setenv x86_mode
] setenv vga_fg_color 7
] setenv vga_bg_color 0
The colors after vga_XX_color can be combined from a palette of 16 colors and they are the same as the standard ANSI palette.
|Media Information: One CD-ROM|
- Chris Young notes that AmigaOS 4.0 "developer pre-release" edition for AmigaOne was released on June 2, 2004. He adds that, in a similar way to the A1000, and (to a lesser extent) early 2.x releases on the A3000, the ROM does not contain any part of AmigaOS and merely loads Kickstart from disk.